University of Rochester Postdoctoral Fellowship in Mitochondrial Physiology

Paul Brookes and I are currently recruiting postdoctoral fellows to work on a new multiple-PI project that has recently been funded to study how the mitochondrial unfolded protein response influences ischemia-reperfusion damage. We’re collaborating with Cole Haynes at Sloan Kettering and we’re using our established worm-to-cardiac pipeline to rapidly translate our basic findings into a mammalian model system.

I’m looking for recent PhDs who might be interested in becoming involved in this project. In particular, we have a place for a well-trained, productive individual who’d like to become part of a larger interdisciplinary team and whose background in C. elegans mitochondrial biology will help them to contribute immediately. While the focus of this individual will be on worms, the project offers the opportunity to expand their toolbox to include the design and use of genetically modified mice, primary cell culture and cardiac models. Having experience in dual model organisms can make for very attractive parallel approaches when seeking funding, and one of the more valuable aspects of our training program emphasizes experience in grant craftsmanship.

Paul’s and my labs are well established and fully equipped, with many of “toys” that make science so much fun…things like 24 and 96-well Seahorse XF analyzers, fluorescent rigs for dynamic, live imaging, as well as all of the other stuff you’d expect based on our research interests. Hence, there are ample resources and opportunities to enhance the likelihood of our postdoc’s success. We also try to encourage our trainees to develop innovative tools and unique skills to bring to the job market.

And—just to get it out of the way—winter in Rochester, NY can actually be very enjoyable (despite recent evidence to the contrary). It goes without saying that the rest of the seasons are just gorgeous. No earthquakes, no floods, no tornadoes, no hurricanes. The city itself has the virtue of being just the right size: large enough that you don’t feel isolated, but small enough that you don’t get lost. House prices are very attractive and there are some fantastic high tech enterprises taking off. There’re off-Broadway shows, ballet, and a professional orchestra. The Eastman School of Music is legendary. Lake Ontario is a premier sportfishing destination. Its twenty minutes to the “country” no matter which way you travel. Life is good.

In short, we feel that this could be a great opportunity for the right trainee. My plan is to meet with interested candidates at the International Worm meeting next month in LA.

Now, here’s the nuts and bolts:

1. You must be about to complete your PhD or have completed your PhD within the last year in cell biology, genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmacology, physiology or related field.

2. You need to be highly motivated, independent, with outstanding written and oral communication skills, and have authored one or more peer-reviewed publications.

3. I prefer you have research experience with C. elegans and/or mitochondria, and ideally both.

4. Due to new guidelines, postdoctoral training is limited to four years; this includes time spent at other universities. Hence, preference will be given to trainees who have ample time remaining. If you’re more experienced and interested in the lab, however, feel free to contact me regarding other possibilities.

Interested candidates should send a CV with a list of publications, a brief statement of your previous research expertise, your postdoctoral research interests, and the contact information of three referees to keith_nehrke@urmc.rochester.edu. Please include “postdoctoral fellowship” in the subject line. Our website is being overhauled, but can be viewed at www.NehrkeLab.com.