cheap camera alternative for stereoscopes

Hi all,

I’m wondering if anyone knows a good (and cheap) camera that can be attached to stereoscopes.
I was thinking to buy Exo Labs Model 2 Camera, but they have stopped their business :frowning:

I just need it to show how to pick worms to students, so most of the camera from scope companies are over-spec and overpriced for me.

Thanks!
Kota

I can’t recommend any of them - I’ve only seen their web pages, and that only just now - but there seem to be a bunch of cheap (~$100) instances of the “microscope eyepiece camera”, eve now that Exo Lab is sadly gone. If you have a DSLR (which is not remotely cheap, but maybe you’ve already got one), you can probably get a microscope eyepiece adaptor for it for under $100, as well.

Some of the options seem to be the following (and note some of them don’t seem all that great; reviews are few, and not ecstatic):
OptixCam Summit SK2-1.3X 1.3MP PC/MAC Digital Microscope Camera (higher resolution available)
ACCUCAM 3.0 M.P. MICROSCOPE EYEPIECE CAMERA
5.0MP USB MICROSCOPE DIGITAL CAMERA EYEPIECE by OSTECH
C-MOUNT DIGITAL MICROSCOPE EYEPIECE OCULAR CAMERA 5.0 MEGAPIXEL MP CMOUNT by Aeorinia

About 10 years ago I used a Nikon digital camera (I think) with microscope adapter. It worked fairly well for taking still images.
The particular adapter was designed to fit directly into the observation tube so may be awkward for demonstrating picking.
Looks like they have similar ones on ebay for $50.

hey Nate,

it was probably something like the Nikon Coolpix 995 i have on one of my scopes? Problem is, although it’s a great camera and it shoots video (at least 30 seconds worth)…streaming it is a pain.

However, most smartphones will talk (at least my Windows phone will) with the latest Generation of LED projectors to stream live shots. There are also lots of adaptors out there to hold a smartphone.

steve

Thank you guys for all of the suggestions. I’ll look for an adapter for camera.