We need to feed C. elegans with dead OP50 bacteria (or metabolically inactive). We have read different ways to kill bacteria: heat-shock, freezing, UV-radiation…It seems that killing bacteria by heat-shock is the easiest way (1h at 80ºC) . We would like to know if someone has experience working with OP50 killed by heat-shock, which protocol do you use? How many bacteria still survive the process? And last, feeding worms with killed OP50, does it affect lifespan or brood-size of worms (N2)?
Thanks in advance