hyp 5,hyp 6, hyp7

Originally posted on WormAtlas by “Michael_XX”, on April 26, 2006

I tried to use MH27 to stain mutants which have head morporgeneis defect. I had a hard time to recognize what hyp5, hyp6, hyp7 cells look like.

vab-1 cell paper and ina-1 neuron paper have some pictures showing Notched head and MH27 staining pattern for above cells.

My questions are these:

1. if I need to check those cells, do I have to focus on seam cells level first and then move focus upword or downword,for hyp 5,6 or 7 cells are wrapping worms?
  2. in the above papers, why did they show L2 stage worms, instead adult? hyp5.6 will fuse after L3?
  3. where else can I find some picture showing hyp5, hyp6,hyp 7 staining pattern?

many thanks!

Michael_XX

Originally posted on WormAtlas by “zeynep altun”, on April 30, 2006

1. if I need to check those cells, do I have to focus on seam cells level first and then move focus upword or downword,for hyp 5,6 or 7 cells are wrapping worms?

A: Seam cells and hyp cells are on the same plane of focus, and lateral hyp nuclei are located close to the seam cells, so you need to move the platform not the focus once you locate the seams.

1. in the above papers, why did they show L2 stage worms, instead adult? hyp5.6 will fuse after L3?

A: Only hyp 6 fuses to hyp 7 at mid L3, hyp 5 syncytium stays separate throughout all stages.

1. where else can I find some picture showing hyp5, hyp6,hyp 7 staining pattern?

A: The strain BC12890 (expressing Y37A1B.5::GFP reporter) from The Genome BC C. elegans gene expression consortium, (McKay et al, 2004), shows GFP in hyp 6 andf hyp 7 (throughout all postembryonic stages) and a strain expressing the ajm-1::GFP reporter (same pattern as MH27 antibody staining) in all epithelia starting at two-fold stage is available from Sternberg lab. Before looking at mutants, it is best to get to know the wild type pattern.

Also, if you e-mail me directly (zaltun AT aecom.yu.edu) I can send you some example images.
(NOTE by admin: It is possible to post pictures on the Forum here).