Job Vacancy - Head of Experiments – C. elegans – Durham, United Kingdom
Closing date - Monday 9th December 2019
Magnitude Biosciences Limited
We are a growing and ambitious contract research organization that offers C. elegans experiments using our novel technology to monitor worms. This technology non-invasively monitors large populations of C. elegans on petri dishes. It provides excellent feedback on worm preparation and shows that worm preparation is the key to excellent experiments. We serve both academic and industrial customers, who have a variety of experimental needs. We are recruiting a Head of Experiments to help our team meet these needs and deliver high quality data.
We are looking to recruit an experienced C. elegans scientist to perform experiments in a multidisciplinary team, including researchers with extensive C. elegans experience. Importantly, the post holder will liaise with customers and the rest of the team, including CEO David Weinkove, to design the most appropriate experiments and see those experiments through to completion, reporting back to customers. The Head of Experiments will also support business development by providing clear examples of successful experiments, and talking with potential customers at meetings and conferences, as well as communicating by email and social media.
Magnitude Biosciences is a spinout of Durham University and the lab is currently based in Durham University in the City of Durham. The position is designed to be full-time but the hours and salary will be appropriate for the successful candidate.
Any questions, please contact David Weinkove (email@example.com)
- Several years’ experience working with C. elegans, including the ability to reproducibly pick staged worms at a high rate.
- Ability to design experiments based on experimental aims and the relevant scientific literature (PhD or equivalent level)
- Ability to work well in a team using verbal and written communication
- Ability to work well with external stakeholders using written and verbal communication
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to wide variety of experimental questions and customer requests.
- Being prepared to occasionally work out of hours and travel internationally.
- Strong sense of scientific integrity
- Experience working in the field of ageing or age-related disease backed up with a track record of peer-reviewed publications
- Experience of working in or with biotech/pharmaceutical companies
- Experience of customer interaction, sales and/or marketing
- An entrepreneurial approach
- Ability to work with computer based image or data analysis
- Ability to use social media, particularly in a commercial setting
Overall Responsibilities – To liaise with customers that have signed contracts, helping them through the process, planning and execution of experiments and supporting sales and marketing.
Reporting to - CEO
• Planning suitable C. elegans experiments together with the customer, CEO and the Laboratory Manager
• To maintain an overview of the schedule of activities in the biological lab and supervise staff when necessary.
• Perform experiments together with other staff in the biological lab
• Respond to customer enquiries in a timely manner.
• Ensure that all lab activities reflect what has been discussed and agreed with the customer, and document as appropriate.
• Coordinate lab consumables budget with Laboratory Manager
• Maintain out of hours rota and help with routine C. elegans maintenance on occasional weekends and when colleagues are away.
• Stay informed on the latest C. elegans techniques, methods and relevant research
• Follow and develop protocols in line with the Quality Management System
• Support the overall sales effort by: -
• Looking for opportunities for further sales particularly from existing customers or customers in the pipeline.
• Attending relevant conferences and meetings
• Producing customer reports and contributing to academic and marketing publications.
• Maintaining an active social media profile in support of the company’s marketing efforts.
• Producing marketing material in conjunction with other team members.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a CV and a cover letter that includes your motivations for applying for the post and how you meet the Person Specification. Interviews will include tests of technical ability and ability to design experiments.