Position: Lead Research Scientist
Company: Newormics (https://newormics.com)
Close date: Open until filled
Newormics is a company based in Austin, TX offering advanced microfluidic devices for high-throughput and high-content screening of small model organisms and 3D tissue organoids. Newormics is an exclusive licensee of the vivoChip® platform, a microfluidic-based technology, which was developed in the Ben-Yakar Lab at The University of Texas at Austin. Our vivoChip® technology is currently being used by many C. elegans researchers around the globe and we are fully committed to make significant contributions to the international scientific work.
Newormics is seeking a Lead Research Scientist to join the team in Austin. When you join Newormics, you will be part of an innovative, enthusiast, smart, and driven team that shares a passion for applying their engineering technologies to life science. In the Lead Research Scientist role, you will lead the development of the next-generation screening service offerings for toxicology assessments of novel chemicals and environmental toxicants using C. elegans. The role will provide technical direction and managerial responsibilities within the eventual screening facility services. The role will oversee and supervise complex projects, ensuring the successful execution of every project within an agreed timescale and to appropriate quality standards.
In return for your commitment, drive, and enthusiasm, an attractive benefits package will be offered.
We seek for highly motivated and independent individuals who can work with other Scientists and Engineers in collaboration. The candidate should have demonstrated extensive experience in developing C. elegans assays and familiar with large-scale culturing protocols to support high-throughput screening of C. elegans. A candidate with a Ph.D. degree and extensive research experience is preferred.
Please be aware that this role may require handling of materials that may contain chemicals and the appropriate protective wear will be necessary as directed by Newormics procedures.
• Develop and test high-throughput screening (HTS) assay protocols using C. elegans models
• Perform large scale culturing and maintenance of C. elegans
• Participate in establishing new screening facilities and perform quality tests with C. elegans assays
• Perform HTS assays of test and reference chemicals and compounds
• Analyze data and prepare technical reports summarizing experimental results
• Follow existing SOPs, make modifications as necessary and document changes, and author new SOPs for novel techniques
• Lead and collaborate across the team to provide testing and evaluation data on new technology prototypes and provide feedback on how to improve future design iterations
• Establish and follow customer relations with existing and new industry and academic partners
• Communicate project goals and objectives, actionable events, milestones and deadlines, and daily progress and feedback for the completion of assignments
• Provide technical expertise in the creation of strategic plans and marketing activities
• Contribute to new research proposals drafts, preliminary results, and future experimental plans
• Participate in the preparation of peer-reviewed publications, conference presentations, customer presentations, white papers, and product flyers
Required Qualifications and Skills:
• Ph.D. in relevant biological sciences, preferably neuroscience, molecular biology, cell biology, biomedical engineering
• Extended experience in C. elegans biology including regular culturing and maintenance, neurobiology, neurodegeneration, developmental biology, and drug/RNAi screening
• Experience working with advanced microscopes and image-based phenotypic analysis
• Good knowledge of laboratory practices, implement quality controls, and standard operating procedures (SOPs)
• Meticulous attention to detail, well organized, strong team working ethos, decision-making skills, and organize own work and others to maximize output
• Project management and planning skills, able to manage a team and leading resource allocation
• Excellent communication skills and ability to prioritize
• Ability to review, analyze, interpret, report writing, and present complex data with a high standard
• C. elegans neurobiology
• Experience in large-scale drug or RNAi screens with degeneration phenotypes in C. elegans models
• Knowledge of advanced biomedical tools, such as microfluidics or laboratory automation
• Experience of assay development with small animal models (C. elegans, Drosophila, and zebrafish)
• Knowledge of animal model development using CRISPR/Cas-9 gene-editing technology
• Standard biology, biochemistry, molecular biology work in a wet laboratory
• Microscopy work in a darkroom environment
• Must be comfortable providing mentorship, guidance, and training for junior and new team members
• Must be comfortable working with bio-hazardous materials provided proper safety equipment
• Regular work week with non-standard night and weekend work as required to complete deliverables
• Some travel may be required to attend conferences, trade shows, and strategic meetings
The position will be open until filled. If you are interested send a cover letter with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected, the next step will be a web-based and/or onsite interview as COVID-19 limitations allow. The appropriate arrangement will be coordinated with the selected applicants in connection with the hiring process.
Newormics Non-Discrimination Policy:
Newormics is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age,
religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.
Newormics will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, under applicable law and as Federal funding application provisions allow.
Position: Lead Research Scientist