Mos1 insertion strain

Hi,

I have some questions about the Mos1 insertion strains. I have some trouble finding some informations and phenotypes on the strains available.
How can you find out if there are strains available with a Mos1 insertion around a gene of interest? And how do you find out about the phenotypes of the strains with an insertion (like if an insertion is lethal or leads to growth defect, or something like this)?
Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi Froggie,

You can find Mos1 insertions around a gene of interest in Wormbase. Use the genome browser and click “Select Tracks”, then select “Transposon insertions” (in the “Variation Tracks” section"). Then, if you come back to the browser, you should see all the transposon insertions in the region of interest. You can click on each specific insertion to have more information about it.
Another way to look for transposon insertions is by checking the “Genetics” tab of your gene of interest. You will find all the alleles available, including those with transposon insertions.
I hope this would help!

Thanks a lot for your help!
I have seen previously the transposon insertions strains in the “genetics” part of the gene I was looking at, but didn’t know how to find the information in the genome browser.

Hi,

I have found several strains with a Mos 1 insertion in the region of interest, but I can’t find some more information on them. I’d like to know if the insertion leads to a lethal phenotype and if not, if the strains are available. I had a look on the NemaGENETAG website, as there was a link to it in the description of the strain in wormbase, but I couldn’t find the information.
How can I find a list of the strains available?

Thanks.

Hi froggie,

As far as I know, all the strains made by NemaGENETAG should be available through their website. Concerning specific comments about their phenotypes, I’m not sure they provide that information. The best way to know, I guess, is to order the strain and score it :wink:

Hello

Since using the genome browser is cumbersome if you have a number of candidate genes, we’ve made a simple tool to look for the NEMAGENETAG Mos1 insertions: www.ciml.univ-mrs.fr/applications/MosLocator/

Just make sure you input gene sequence or transcript names (e.g. F45E10.1 or F45E10.1f, and not unc-53 or WBGene00006788).

As described previously (nar.oxfordjournals.org/content/35/2/e11.long) and also in the recent NEMAGENETAG paper (www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0030482), the strains were driven to homozygosity, so we don’t expect many insertions to cause lethality.

That said, anyone who receives a strain should provide all relevant information (including associated phenotypes) directly to Wormbase.

Hope that helps.