No more platinum wire

As a part of migration from the Worm Community Forum, this post was manually created on behalf of the user MQGoulding; when they join the forum here, they can claim this post by replying to this topic.

Hello fellow worm breeders! I want to share a tip… the cool new way to make worm picks is using the high E string for an electric guitar, instead of platinum wire. It actually works better - it’s a little stiffer than the Pt, so you can also use it for micro-chunking. I use an alcohol lamp, not a bunsen burner, so the steel does not get too hot (unless you want it to - just hold it longer over the flame - and then it stays hot longer than Pt does, which also comes in handy when you want to kill things). And it’s much, much cheaper. The kind of string I’m using is Elixir 11, anti-rust plain steel.

As a part of migration from the Worm Community Forum, this post was manually created on behalf of the user MQGoulding; when they join the forum here, they can claim this post by replying to this topic.

PS. I use the ‘touch with goo’ picking method. For those of the ‘lift from below’ school, electric guitar string might not work (too hard to flatten into a spatula blade).