The Neurophotonics and Mechanical Systems Biology research group led by Prof. Michael Krieg at ICFO – The Institute of Photonic Sciences (http://www.icfo.eu), Barcelona, Spain, is looking for a well-qualified, highly motivated and dynamic young scientist who wishes to enhance his/her scientific career in an international, friendly and stimulating environment.
The successful candidate will be joining the Neurophotonics and Mechanical Systems Biology group, which has ample experience in C. elegans genetics, neuroscience and optogenetics. We work highly interdisciplinary at the interface of biology, physics and engineering, using a plethora of advanced experimental techniques, backed by computational methods. The repertoire of available resources includes high-resolution microscopes, animal facilities, and access to ICFO’s state-of-the-art light microscopy facilities (SLN and Nikon’s Center of excellence), or the Nanofabrication lab (μFluidic Foundry) and the Advanced Engineering Lab, including Mechanical Workshop.
During the course of this project we strive to establish a prosthetic optogenetic neurotransmitter system that is capable to overcome defects in chemical synaptic transmission, with possible applications to overcome disease. Specific tasks include the generation of cell-specific CRISPR mutants in C. elegans and cell specific expression of optogenetic probes in various neuronal mini-circuits.
Suitable candidates should have:
- [i]Experience in optogenetics, neuroscience or molecular genetics.
- Prior experience with C. elegans or mammalian tissue culture is considered an asset.
- Previous experience in calcium or voltage imaging is desired but not necessary.
- Graduating or newly graduated Ph.D. with strong experience in biochemistry, cell and molecular biology and/or neuroscience, are encouraged to apply[/i].
No restrictions of citizenship apply to the ICFO positions. Female scientists are encouraged to apply.
The contract is offered for periods of one year, renewable for a total of up to three years.
The formal application should be submitted online via ICFO jobs & fellowship openings.
Suitable candidates are requested to submit:
- Presentation letter with a declaration of interest,
- Curriculum Vitae, including contact details,
- The contact e-mail of two potential referees.
Candidates should be willing to be contacted by phone during the selection process. For further information, visit https://icfo.eu/research/groups-details?group_id=45