Postdoc position Quantitative analysis of cell fate decisions

A postdoctoral position is available in the ‘Quantitative Developmental Biology’ group at the FOM Institute AMOLF in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

In the lab we are studying how cell fate decisions occur in a robust manner, even though the molecular processes driving these decisions, such as gene expression and cell signaling, often exhibit strong stochastic fluctuations. We are addressing these questions on the single-cell level in C. elegans, focusing on stochastic cell fate decisions such as the AC/VU decision. We are using a quantitative, systems biology approach that combines single molecule Fluorenscence In Situ Hybridization (smFISH), an exciting new technique to visualize individual mRNA molecules, with timelapse microscopy and microfabrication. More information on the lab can be found at:

We are looking for outstanding candidates with a background in physics, biology or related fields and with a strong interest in systems and developmental biology. However, we are particularly interested in excellent candidates with a background in C. elegans biology that are interested in combining that background with quantitative biophysics and systems biology approaches.

AMOLF is one of the research institutes funded by the Foundation for Fundamental Research on Matter (FOM), the physics division of the Dutch National Science Foundation (NWO). It has a very successful and internationally renowned biophysics and systems biology section, with excellent facilities for microscopy, molecular biology and microfabrication. The institute employs around 130 researchers and provides a young, international and interdisciplinary environment composed of researchers with backgrounds in physics, biology, chemistry and mathematics. Amsterdam itself is a cosmopolitan city that consistently ranks among the top cities in terms of the quality of living.

For any questions regarding the position, do not hesitate to send me an email at j.v.zon@amolf.nl. I will attend the C. Elegans 2013 meeting in Los Angeles on June 26-30. If you want to know more about this position, I would be happy to meet and chat! In that case, just send me an email, preferably before the meeting.

Applications should be send directly to the Institute. For more information on the application procedure, please look at the advertisement on the AMOLF website at:

http://www.amolf.nl/research/quantitativedevelopmentalbiology/jobs-internships/