Posts not sorting correctly

Am I the only person who can’t sort posts correctly? I tried to sort the Meeting Announcement list, but it failed. Sorting by any of the other attributes doesn’t work either. It seems that the first 4 topics (which are “Sticky”, whatever that means) always stay together and the last 4 (“Normal”) always stay together no matter what you do.
What’s going on with this? It definitely makes it difficult to tell what the most recent meeting announcement is.

I also tried to attach a screen capture showing the problem, but that resulted in an “attachment directory not writable” error, and my post froze up and had to be re-created.

Monica

Hello,

actually, they do sort correctly, although perhaps not like you want.
Sticky means, that these topics will “stick” to the top, even if more recent posts are present below.
Alas, I noticed this is not explained in the help file.

Generally, you touch upon an area here dealing with how to best organize posts in the meetings section.
The idea is to tag a meeting “sticky” to have it appear at the top until it is over.
That also requires that the sticky tag is removed once the meeting is over - something that could of course be forgotten until someone notices it.
So, if more users find the use of sticky topics in the meeting announcements bad, it’s easy to omit.

By the way, in any section of the Forum a topic can be made sticky to make it appear at the top.

Note: there is also the possibility of “locking” a topic when posting. That will prevent others from replying to the topic.
Again, this is useful for announcement type posts, where one does not want to wish to have replies to it.

Best wishes

In that case, I suggest that Stickiness should be one of the attributes that the posts can be sorted by. And perhaps posts should be sorted by Stickiness by default, so that the Sticky posts always appear at the top the first time you look at the list. But Stickiness should not override sorting by the other attributes, because that entirely defeats the purpose of being able to sort, especially since Stickiness is an entirely arbitrary attribute, and is binary (Sticky or not, but no levels of Stickyness) and has no expiry date.

Monica