Prospective Phd student

I am writing to express my strong interest in joining a research group as a graduate student.

During my undergraduate studies, I had the opportunity to work extensively with C. elegans as part of my thesis project. This experience ignited my passion for this fascinating model organism and inspired me to pursue further research in this area. Subsequently, I continued to deepen my knowledge and skills as a research assistant, where I had the chance to explore various aspects of C. elegans biology and genetics.

I am writing to inquire about the possibility of pursuing a Ph.D. in any US university who works with C. elegans.

HI Sakhawat - you should be aware that most molecular/cell biology Ph.D. programs in the U.S. take students through admission into an umbrella program, in which they rotate through ~3 labs during the first year and join a thesis lab at the end of that year. While some labs take students through direct admission, this is less common than in Europe and other countries.

Dear Professor Dernburg
Thank you so much for your response. Could you please let me know if there is a possibility for me to join your lab? Your work on meiotic chromosome organization in Caenorhabditis elegans, particularly your findings regarding the 3D organization of meiotic chromosome axes, has captured my interest. Your research, which reveals how meiosis-specific proteins bridge cohesin complexes and the synaptonemal complex, as well as the distinct arrangements of cohesin complexes within the axes that may contribute to interhomolog repair of meiotic double-strand breaks, is truly fascinating.

1 Like