Review of microscopes from Tritech Research

Hello my fellow worm scientists,

Does anybody have any experience (good or bad) using the microscopes from Tritech Research?
http://www.tritechresearch.com/microscopes-and-accessories-overview.html

Their microscopes and microinjection system seem to be well suited for worm studies (SMT-1, BX-51-F, MINJ-1000 etc) but are substantially less expensive than those from the big 4 (Zeiss, Leica, Olympus and Nikon).

Thank you,
curiouscientist

We’ve had a similar discussion on here regarding injection setups from them, might be worth a read.

Thank you Snug. That post was all about micro-injection systems and indeed helpful. I wonder if any labs also use microscopes from Tritech. A google search didn’t seem to find anything.

I guess it boils down to the quality of the optics. I don’t have any experience with Tritech, so I don’t know where they source their objectives + mechanics, but we have a similar ‘no name’ zoom stereo microscope (that also cost about 2.5K) for general purpose plate observation, picking etc. and the main issue is the lack of parafocality. For general work this is not a big issue, but if you have to spend a lot of time using the 'scope then refocussing might become laborious.

The issue of optics quality becomes a lot more obvious when you’re trying to micro-inject.

As always, if you can afford it, then spending more on a Wild or Zeiss is going to serve you well for high quality work…for high mag work at least, if you can’t afford a new one, perhaps buy a refurbished one from a reputable dealer.