Spatial positions of neurons

Originally posted on WormAtlas by “Vish”, on December 24, 2005

Hi,
Does someone have data about the spatial positions of each cell body of the C elegans’ neurons?
Thanks

Originally posted on WormAtlas by “hall”, on December 24, 2005

Look first at the online version of “The Mind of the Worm”, which can be accessed from the front page of WormAtlas (just scroll down until you find it). This paper"s figures show all the neurons in the adult head, viewed from the side, and many viewed from a ventral view, both singly and in groups.

This should be helpful.

DHH

Hello all,

I’m a student at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington and have begun work on mathematically reproducing the C. elegans nervous system for my honors directed independent study . A major part of this mathematical reproduction is a visual simulation of the neurons and their connections to each other, sensilla, and muscles. This visual simulation will be implemented in the C# programming language using DirectX (the same technology used to make video games).

As such, I will need to associate each neuron with a X, Y, Z position in 3D space and a color. I can do this by following the color images on this page: The Mind of a Worm: The Nervous System. Specifically, the color image here: Figure2.

I’m posting to ask if there has been any work done on this since the last post (2005), and if not does the community have any suggestions for me? All of my work will be made publicly available.

Thank You!

Hi,

In addition to the figure you mentioned, these views may be helpful for generating coordinates:

http://www.wormatlas.org/Ware_build0.2/art/fig17_large.jpg

I have some ideas about how this could be done, which we could discuss off-line.

-C