White Mold Contamination

Hi!
I recently have had a lot of white mold contamination in my lab on all the NGM plates. I am have tried pretty much everything at this point to get rid of it without success. I have made new stocks of everything that goes into the NGM and the OP50-1. Has anyone else seen this type of mold? or knows how I can possibly fix it.

thank you!

Alexis,
Is the mold present in spots on the surface of the plates or is it uniform on the plate surface or throughout the plates? If it is spotty on top of the plates, I would suspect some mold in your building air or on the surfaces above where you pour your plates.You can check for this by borrowing someone’s cell culture hood to pour the plates. If it is in the media, then I would filter sterilize the heat-sensitive items you add - be sure your sterile filters are not expired or they may leak. For the autoclaved portion, youu may want to double-check that your autoclave is working properly. Since I am generally working in a rather dirty lab, I add Nystatin to my media after autoclaving. However, this may cause subtle influences on worm behavior. Good luck, Janet

Hi Janet,
thanks for all the tips! the mold seems spotty at first and then it grows up into like this fuzzy white mold. I have tried filtering all the reagents going into the NGM and adding an antibiotic to the NGM itself after autoclaving and I am still getting the same result. Not really sure what to do from here, nothing has changed in the way I make the plates so I am not sure why I am getting this contamination out of no where.

thank you!