> Why choose yeast as the model organism?
- Easy cultivation and suitable for genetic analysis.
- Yeast cells share many basic biological properties with human cells.
- Genetic manipulation in yeast is easy and cheap compared to similar experiments in more complex animals such as mice and zebrafish.
- Yeast is one of the simplest eukaryotic organisms but many essential cellular processes are the same in yeast and humans.
- Genes from other species can be expressed in yeast and replace homologous yeast genes.
- Budding yeast is the first eukaryote to sequence the entire genome.
- Short generation time compared to other higher organisms.